Sunday, May 11, 2008

Senegal here I come!

Senegal. In 3 days!!!! I am so excited that it is finally almost here! It hasn't fully sunk in yet that I am actually going to be gone for 64 long days.

I am so excited that I am finally getting to live my dream and go to Africa. I have been longing to serve God in this country for forever it seems like! I can't wait to meet all of the people and see what it is like.

I will be posting on this blog as much as I can this summer to let everyone at home know how things are going. Thank you all so much for being so supportive and faithfully going to the Lord in prayer about this trip. I am forever thankful for your prayers!

Here are a few prayer requests I have for the next coming week:
* Pray that the people would be willing to hear about our great God.
* Pray that all of the teams would arrive safely.
* Pray that we wouldn't have any problems with the airlines or making our flights
* Pray that we also would be well rested and ready to serve God where ever he leads us!

Thank you SOOOO much for your prayers! God is going to do such great things!


Brooke

Oh yeah.... here is a little bit about the people that I am going to be working with.

Quick facts about the Lebou

  • Location: Senegal
  • Also Known As: Lébu
  • Status: Engaged by the International Mission Board
  • Population: 150,000
  • Primary Religion: Islam
  • Number of Christians: 15-20
  • Language: Wolof, French, Arabic
  • The Lebou are West Africa's fishermen and are located in villages sandwiched between the Sahara desert and the Atlantic Ocean.
  • The Lebou love to laugh, love to play, and love to spend time with friends.
  • Although many have heard the gospel, few are willing to leave Islam.
They Lebou need to know about the everlasting and freeing love of our Lord Jesus Christ. They are enslaved by a faith that is dependent on their works. Pray for their freedom!

I got the info from www.gowestafrica.org. They have loads more info about the people of West Africa as well as lots of prayer requests.

Thank you all so much!

11 comments:

Kari said...

thats so cool...I wish I could go to Africa ;-)

RecklesslyFaithful said...

oh wait.... YOU ARE! :D
see ya in the MORNING! :D!!!!!!!!

Brooke said...

I hope you are doing great!! I miss you already. We are praying for you = ) Can't wait to read the updates.

Slap said...

God is the orchestrator and you are the instrument. Keep your focus on the conductor and keep your heart and mind in tune. Let your heart be attentive and alert. Listen closely to God's instruction as he will place his guidance in your heart at the right time. His direction is never early nor is it ever late...it is perfectly on-time.

I pray that the people of Senegal will hear the salvation message that God has given privilege to you to deliver as his faithful ambassador and messenger. Despite any tough circumstances or distractions, ALWAYS remain faithful to the one true God of this world...Jesus Christ. Greater is He that is in you than he that is of this world.

I love you!

Dad

auntie p said...

brooke,how is it going? mom said you made a safe trip. just wanted to let you know i am checking the blog page love you lots
auntie p

Laurie said...

I hope your Senegal experience is being everything you hoped it would be. I know you will do a wonderful job teaching the children.You have a very special way with children. I know because I know how lucky the kids in our class were to have you in their lives. I miss you. Be careful.
Love,
Laurie

Nancy said...

Pat and I are praying for you and are thrilled you are getting your dream. Love, Aunt Nancy

Unknown said...

Hi! Praying that you are adjusting well to Africa and enjoying every moment! Grace is going to be so sad when you are not in school tomorrow :o(. We can't wait to hear from you.

Marcy & Grace

Logan said...

Hey Brooke, i hope your experience in africa is amazing.

guess what, i got my drivers liscense on wed of this week,

and i drove to school today.

ps i cleaned your car, and its spotless. ill keepit that way for ya when you come back

Mommy Salami said...

Hey kiddo!
Hope you are doing well! We miss you!
It has been a busy week with Devyn graduating from kindergarten and her picnic and Logan got his license.

Guess what!??! I am going to clean your room next week!! Don't worry - we only have 2 boxes of trash bags - so I can't throw away TOO MUCH!!

I am praying for you my girl. You are an awesome young woman - I am so proud of you!

Love you!

Mom

donnalea said...

You should be so proud of yourself. God is doing amazing things for you and through you. i love seeing your postings!
love & prayers, donnalea