Sunday, June 8, 2008

hey everybody! Here is the Senegal low down for this past week!

This week in Senegal has been awesome. Mainly my roomate and I have been hanging out with our family, just loving on them and helping them out with everyday tasks. On wednesday we went and visited a woman named Hati who is a new believer, praise God! My roomate knew here from last year (this is my roomates third year here). Hadi can't read so we are going to visit her once a week and read to her from a Wolof Bible. It was so exciting to meet somone from a totally different place and life that was in love with the same Jesus I'm in love with. Please be praying for her, its not easy to be a Christian in this country. Also pray for her son Babacar, at the age of about 5 he suddenly became paralised. he cant walk and lays in bed all day. Hati can't afford to take him to get treatments or anything, because it is so expensive. Pray that if it is God's will, Babacar would be healed. Also pray that God would speak to her through us.

On thursday night we had an awesome opportunity to hang out with the kids that live in our house. The kids arn't usually allowed to come in our room. They get yelled at when they come in, but somehow we were able to sneak them in our room to hang out for a good hour or more. the kids had so much fun, we brought out some toy cars for mama and papa to play with, and we let the 2 teenage girls listen to our ipods. they got a HUGE kick out of that! they were dancing all around our room trying to "sing" along to "engles music". It was awesome to just get to play witht hem. the two teens don't get many opportunities to just hang out and be kids, their time is usually consumed with cleaning and running errands. Meti qnd Anta were just so happy to play. It gave me such joy to see them just being kids. we are hoping to get the kids together more often and let them hang out in our room. our goal is to get them in there and lett hem listen to our bible stories that we have on tape in their language. Pray that God would provide these opportunities!

This weekend we had a retreat weekend where all of the student missionaries came together to talk about what we have been doing. It was such a wonderful weekend! We went to a place called Simone, and it was GORGEOUS!!!! it was right on the beach, and the beach was clean! I was so happy to see a beach that wasn't full of garbage. We spent time hanging out with eachother and just enjoying being able to hold real conversations with other people that spoke our language. It was so encouraging to hear the ways God is working in the other cities.

Thanks for your prayers!



Yall should check out Kari Freeman's blog as well, she is my best friend and she is here in senegal with me! its www.povertytriumphant.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My Brookie!
Yeah! You figured out how to post on the blog!
I am glad your retreat weekend went well. I know you enjoyed the ice cream and real bathrooms!

Devyn has been missing you - we were at UCF last week and she got really sad and was talking about going to college with "my sister'! (She missed you at the mall too!)

We are praying for you honey! Keep your eyes focused on Jesus and He will work through you.

I love you girlie!

Mom

Nancy said...

Brooke- I have enjoyed reading your blogs- I pray for you every morning on my walk. What an awesome experience for you! I have people praying for you from Tennessee to Texas. Even my Catholic mother has said a rosary for you. Love, Aunt Nancy