Friday, June 13, 2008

Yet another week has flown by in Senegal!

I can't believe that i only have 5 weeks left in my trip. In some ways it feels like I just got here, and in some ways it feels like this has been home for my whole life. the sights and smells and everything about Senegal just seem so much like home now, I can't imagine what its going to be like when I leave. I never thought I could get so attatched to a place so quickly. While communicating with people isn't always the easiest, I have totally fallen in love with these people. And I never really expected that to happen, at least not the way it has.

God has taught me how to love people. He has shown me how to see people the way he sees them. Becauses these people arn't just people. They are more than that. They are more than faces. They are more than men leaning against a wall, women selling fruit, children tugging on your skirt. They are God's creations. They are his creations that he made, in his image. They were created to give himself praise. We are walking portraits of God's awesomeness.

Everyone of us.

Even the unloveable. Even those annoy us. Even the ones who know how to get under our skin when we are in a mood. We are all images of God's likeness.

But its so easy for us to forget that. We look at people through our own eyes that exxageratre imperfections. Eyes that remember shortcomings and hold grudges. Eyes that make assumptions. God has been reminding me that I need to stop looking at people through my eyes, and start looking at them the way he does.

As masterpeices.





This week I got the opportunity to hang out with Hadi again. We took a Wolof Bible to her house and just read it to her. We had no way to explain what we were reading, we could only stumble through reading words that we couldn't understand. But God blessed our efforts tremendously! Hadi said she learned alot. Which is wonderful! We prayed with her, and it was beautiful to hear her lifting up praises to God in her language and us in ours. Our God can hear whenever we call on his name. I gave Hadi my cross necklace. She said she wanted to wear it becase she was a "talibe Yessu", which means a follower of Christ. It was deffinetly a time I will never forget. Pray that she would be able to learn even more from God's word on wednesday.

I hope yall are doing well!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Brooke!! I love this posting. I'm praying for you and cannot wait for you to come home. I love you = )

Slap said...

Brooke my beautiful little girl. My heart overflows with great joy to know that you are experiencing the wonderful and magnificent power of God first hand. There is no greater blessing that I could ever possess than to know that my child seeks to serve and worship the God of all creation.

Like any parent, God also longs for the deep loving relationship with his children. He wants the people of Senegal to come to know him personally. He wants to unite with them in fellowship. He wants to be their King and for them to be His people. I pray that God will honor you with His blessing that you may deliver His message of hope and eternal salvation through Jesus Christ. I pray that everyone you encounter will hear the message of hope and salvation that you have brought to share with them.

Remain focused and attentive to God's direction. The Lord is your rock and your strength, He is your compass, He is your light, He is your comforter, He is your salvation, He is your life and He is your King.

I love you little girl will all of my heart.

Dad